8.15.2013

for him... xoxoxo


My hubby has been most patient.. and is so very supportive of my obsession passion. Honestly, not even a flinch when he accompanies me to the till at fibre space (because they awesomely offer a military discount) and pays for the $150 worth of yummy yarn. just  a smile and a loving squeeze.. to see me so happy (especially for the free bag!... but more on that in another post... promises).




 This sweet man never has knitterly demands for me... and tries his best to listen when I'm really excited over a particular stitch, or some new needles I need to have... or how the self-striping yarn stacks up. hahah . and is never. ever. concerned with what is in the stash... oh how I love him.


So really, it was high time I knit something more for him. He's gotten a few things from me in the past, but he gets warm pretty easily, and wearing the sweater doesn't happen as often as I'd like. And when my knit picks order arrived full of the felici yarns (hey.. they were having a sale..) he spotted the "building blocks" and exclaimed he'd love to see those in a pair of socks for him.  Even though I had kind of chosen that yarn as socks for me, how could I say no... he's actually asking for a hand-knit!! wahoo!



I bought the book "Socks from the Toe Up" by Wendy d. Johnson, as I had heard only so many awesome things about it .... and keep in mind, I haven't really done a lot of sock knitting... save for my skewed socks..  .. can you tell I have a thing for stripes? hee hee..


So here's the rundown:
pattern: gusset heel basic socks
(I cast on using the Turkish method)
needle: 2.25mm addi sock rockets
yarn: felici fingering self striping socks - building blocks. 2x skeins.

the Turkish cast on method is new to me, and I have to say I love it!
for my mods, see my ravelry page.

I know a lot of people like to match up the stripes so that both socks are identical, but I live on the edge here. haha I like the stripes to just happen as they want to.. maybe i'm lazy I dunno but I actually like how they look like this :)


As for the toe up.. I'm a huge fan of this method of sock knitting! I'm pretty much hooked. which is a good thing, because I kind of went crazy with scooping up all sorts of knit picks felici yarn that will be discontinued... when I see sale... it only justifies it. hah needless to say, we'll have some colourful feet in the future.

and my hubby is uber pleased with these new socks for him. they fit him great, and used up all of the yarn! hurrah!


bonus.. he wants more! bless him. It means I can buy more yarn ;) xo

are you a sock knitter? do you have a fave pattern that you always are drawn to? are you a fan of the self striping yarns? cabled socks? lace socks? oh the possibilities!! let's chat socks today! xo

16 comments:

  1. chantel@mudpunch15 August 2013 at 08:42

    Self-striping is my favourite kind of yarn, and the Felici sock yarn has the best colour combos. And, it gets really soft and fuzzy once they're worn. It's like they have a touch of cashmere, without actually having cashmere. They're my go to when knitting sock presents for others... And sometimes myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the price is perfect especially for gift knitting! and I agree, the colour choices are fab! yay for knit picks! xo

      Delete
  2. That is awesome! I love that the stripes don't match up. I try to make my husband things... but the only thing he consistently wears is a toque. He has requested a cowichan sweater..... but that is very obviously way out of my league! ~Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's awesome he's asking for a cowichan sweater! you could do it!! it's surprisingly not as difficult as you'd think! xo

      Delete
  3. I'm working on socks with the same building blocks colorway for my 5-year old son right now. My first pair of socks, also from the toe up. I'm doing the Original Toe-Up Socks class on Craftsy. My little guy has been so excited about them and seeing this post has me more excited to finish them. SO FUN! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hurrah! what are the odds of knitting with the same yarn and toe up socks! yippee! I have that class in craftsy... I just haven't found the time yet to do it. do you like it? I can't wait to see them! be sure to post them on nook's facebook page when you're done! xo

      Delete
  4. I recently knit my hubby a pair of toe-up socks with Felici too! Firefighter colour way. I enjoyed the fact that I could use every inch of the yarn, but I kicked myself for choosing a ribbed sock pattern! Size 13 men's feet in ribbing took forever! And he loves them but is afraid to wear them cuz he doesn't want them ruined!! Sweet, but frustrating! I told him when they get ruined, it will give me an excuse to buy more yarn for another pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I agree, he should wear them!!! I bought the firefighter colourway too. owen loved it so I bought 3x skeins. haha matching socks for owen and daddy? xo

      Delete
  5. I love that you're willing to put in the work if it means more yarn...they look great on him!
    I'm crazy about my man too. He's come to terms with "the stash" as well. The only thing I've made for him is a hat. Maybe I should buy more yarn so I can knit him something to show how much I care! Bahahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee hee you know my secrets ;) but really I love that he loves these socks, and he'll rock them wearing dress pants. i'm gonna knit him lots of flashy socks! xo and then borrow them. hahaha.

      Delete
  6. now you have me craving felici!
    The socks looks wonderful & I love that your hubby loves them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! I love that he loves them too ;) actually this colourway is on sale right now!! ;) (enabling)xo

      Delete
  7. they look soooo cozy!!!! so sweet that he saw the balls of yarn and wanted socks in the colourway. they look so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it honestly made me so happy that he wanted me to knit for him after seeing the yarn <3 it didn't matter to me that they were originally for me. I think the knit that are most fun for me to knit (well apart from the selfish ones) are the ones he and owen ask me to knit for them. and have them eagerly watch it's progress is a bonus too! xo

      Delete
  8. Even though the pics are just of his feet, I can feel the smiles & happiness!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...