1.29.2016

from sweater to vest. xo


Though I do a few customs, sample knitting, and product knitting, I also help to revive old knits. Be it mending, or in this case, changing the garment so that it's wearable again!


This is such a beautiful cowichan sweater. And it's a bit of a very special heirloom. However mum was a bit shorter than her daughter is, so I was asked if we could transform this sweater into a vest. What a beautiful, and fantastic idea!


So that's what I did. Admittedly, I was a little sad frogging the arms. However, I knew this meant giving the sweater new life, and it was really so fascinating to see just how the knitter carried the yarns, I also knew the sweater was well loved and used, as I found lots of sand in the yarn. I can just imagine the cozy seaside walks that were taken while wearing this garment.


This really was a very easy fix, as this style of sweater is often knit in pieces and then seamed together. Once the sleeves were off, I just picked up stitches around the armhole and crocheted a few rounds. It gave the vest more stability, and provided the look which was just what I was looking for. A couple of hours de-pilling later, and presto.



And so now, I hope that it gets much more use again, and hopefully sees more seaside walks in it's future. I have no doubt it will. xo   The little cowichain-inspired cowl was a gift that I made up from the sleeves. xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...